Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Business Administration Courses:
BUS101 - Principles of Business
Catalog Description: Examines the scope of business as it relates to the global economic system. Topics include types of business ownership, management principles, the internal organization, human resource management, marketing, finance and risk management. Students should take this course during their first semester as a foundation for other business courses.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Communicate effectively in a professional setting.
2. Describe the three major functions (marketing, operations, and finance) of a successful business.
3. Compare and contrast best practices (ethics, social responsibility, and workplace diversity) of at least two different corporations.
4. Describe the requirements of becoming an entrepreneur and starting a business.
5. Identify the opportunities and challenges of performing business in the global market.
6. Describe the four functions of management.
7. Discuss the role of accounting in business, including the purpose of the basic financial statements.
8. Explain how the marketing mix of product, price, place and promotion are used to create successful businesses.
9. Describe the role of human resources management in business.
10. Compare and contrast business strategies (marketing, operational, and financial) of two competitive corporations.
Effective Term: Fall 2019