Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
Computer Information Systems Courses:
CIS127 - Computing in Math, Science, and Engineering
Catalog Description: An introduction to computer programming and problem solving, with special emphasis on problems found in mathematics, science, and engineering. Students will use software such as Maple and Excel, and/or a programming environment such as MatLab or Python, to efficiently and effectively solve problems by developing a strategy, applying appropriate techniques, and validating results. Prerequisite: MAT140 or higher.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Apply problem-solving techniques to solve a mathematical, scientific, or engineering problem using a computer application.
2. Apply problem-solving techniques to solve a mathematical, scientific, or engineering problem using a programming language.*
3. Write at least one program that solves a problem through the use of decision-making blocks
4. Write at least one program that solves a problem through the use of looping.
5. Write at least one program that solves a problem through the use of user-defined methods or functions.
6. Write a least one program that solves a problem through the use of data structures such as lists and arrays.
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
1. Computer Hardware and Operating Systems
2. Problem Solving using Mathematical Software
3. Introduction to Programming
4. Data Types, Assignments, Input, Output, and Design Issues
7. Arrays, List, and other Data Structures
Effective Term: Fall 2015