Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Communications and Media Arts Courses:
COM101 - Introduction to Mass Media
Catalog Description: Introduces basic mass media concepts affecting radio, television, newspapers, the computer, and film. Explores the effectiveness of media messages in their social and cultural contexts. Examines the history of the media and creation of mass media theories.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Identify and describe the major media.
2. Compare and contrast various features of the mass media (distribution, etc.)
3. Explain how the evolution of internet disrupted, and continues to disrupt, traditional media.
4. Analyze mass media messages with a critical/cultural approach.
5. Analyze mass media messages with a functional approach.
6. Analyze an historical court case focused on media law.
7. Identify current trends in mass media content and distribution, and describe the cultural, social, or economic impacts of those trends
Effective Term: Fall 2019