Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Communications and Media Arts Courses:
COM123 - Broadcasting Practicum
Catalog Description: Provides one college credit for working on the college radio station or participating in an internship program at a commercial radio station in Batavia, Rochester or Buffalo. Students may enroll four times for a maximum of four semesters hours of credit. Activity hours to be arranged. Prerequisite: COM102, COM102 or concurrent enrollment in COM102. Credit in this course will not satisfy the Fine Arts requirement in any degree program.
Lab: 1 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations governing the college's radio station, WGCC-FM.
2. Dependability by performing a weekly radio station shift on either the college's AM or FM radio station.
3. The skills needed to perform all the duties of a radio station disc jockey.*
4. Basic journalistic ability by writing and editing a short newscast for presentation on the college radio station.
5. The ability to plan and participate in a major annual event for students and the community, sponsored by the college radio station and the Student Activities Council.
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
Effective Term: Fall 2005