Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
ENG214 - Introduction to Creative Writing
Catalog Description: Fosters skills in techniques of reading, writing, and analyzing contemporary literature. Students generate creative texts through workshops and engage in both peer and instructor review sessions. Portfolio exam. Online courses require computer knowledge. Prerequisite: ENG102 or ENG105 or permission of the instructor.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Discuss personal interpretation of creative texts
2. Analyze creative texts using genre-specific language
3. Produce imaginative works of various kinds, including at least two of following genres: fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, dramatic or script writing.
4. Write a poem creating a specific image, utilizing one or more metaphors, in a specific form (narrative, epistle, free verse, lyric, etc.).
5. Create a portfolio to showcase multiple final drafts.
Effective Term: Fall 2019