Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
English Second Language Courses:
ESL100 - Introduction to Composition and United States Culture
Catalog Description: A course designed for English as A Second Language learners. Students who pass with a C or higher have developed mastery in grammar appropriate to specific academic purposes and in communication skills. Introduces American culture. Additional laboratory supported practice required weekly. Not open to students with credit in ENG100. Prerequisite: Completion of ENG 091 or ESL 091 with a grade of C or higher, by TOEFL exam or by placement exam.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Write essays using grammatically correct academic vocabulary at the high-intermediate level.
2. Revise essays applying appropriate grammar and vocabulary.
3. Maintain a journal reflecting discipline and engagement in the writing process.
4. Deliver short, organized oral presentations to a small group.
5. Describe various aspects of American culture including Western New York.
6. Assemble a portfolio of personal written work.
7. Participate in class according to US higher education cultural norms.
Effective Term: Fall 2019