Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
English Second Language Courses:
ESL110 - Adv ESL Listening and Speaking
Catalog Description: Establishes competencies in listening, speaking, note-taking and pronunciation for non-native speakers of English. Prepares students for academic activities across the curriculum. In order to receive a passing grade of A, B, or C a student must achieve a final average of 70% or higher. A final grade of F will be assigned for averages below 70%. Prerequisite: By placement test, permission of instructor, or upon successful completion of ESL 093.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Restate key points and broad themes from academic experiences from the student's chosen major or program of study (short conversations, group work, mini-lectures, extended lectures, etc.).
2. Take notes using one of the five recommended methods (outlining, key words, paragraphs, word maps, or the Cornell method).
3. Use academic-level vocabulary and discourse markers in integrated, independent, or prepared speaking tasks.
4. Demonstrate improvement of pronunciation skills.
5. Construct well-organized, formal and informal oral presentations.
6. Construct well-organized, formal and informal written presentations
7. Apply improved listening comprehension skills to a variety of academic or personal situations.
Effective Term: Fall 2019