Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Fashion Merchandising Mgmt Courses:
FBM120 - Apparel Construction Fundamentals
Catalog Description: An introduction to the tools and techniques of apparel construction. Apply specific terminology to the process of construction. Construction techniques include: hands-on sewing machine techniques, body types and size charts, selecting patterns, fittings, step-by-step sewing instructions and assembly procedures, types of stitches, seams, darts, pleats and tucks, bias, sewing with knits, zippers, pockets, sleeves, collars, necklines, facings and interfacings, linings, waistlines, hems, and closures. Students must provide their own supplies. Fall only.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Operate, on at least a basic level, a sewing machine.
2. Demonstrate proper pressing techniques.
3. Utilize, with accuracy, various measurement tools (tape measure, 6" measuring gauge, machine markings).
4. Interpret instructions from a sewing pattern.
5. Execute proper cutting techniques as appropriate.
6. Construct garment pieces appropriate to the pattern (cuffs, collar, placket, button holes, darts, yoke, pockets, set-in sleeves, etc.)
7. Assemble the pieces into a finished garment, with a finished hem.
Effective Term: Fall 2019