Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Food Processing Technology Courses:
FPT101 - Introduction to Food Processing Technology
Catalog Description: Introduces students to the basic principles of food science including chemical, physical and microbiological properties of food as well as technology used to create safe, nutritious and abundant supplies of food. Food processing and unit operations will be covered as a foundation for upper level work; field trips to food processing businesses will support classroom work.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Summarize the different careers that exist within the food processing industry.
2. Explain organizational structures of food processing companies.
3. Describe the operations of food processing companies.
4. Describe the flow of materials from "farm to fork" and distribution of food products.
5. Describe the components of a food package label.
6. Describe food preservation techniques.
7. Identify the three food safety hazards.
Effective Term: Fall 2019