Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Food Processing Technology Courses:
FPT102 - Food Safety, Sanitation & Hazard Analysis
Catalog Description: Provides information on procedures to control biological, chemical and physical hazards and assure the safety of foods. Topics include discussions on the regulatory environment that govern food safety within the United States, different hazards in foods, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), prerequisite programs, third party audits, Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) and the application of current technologies in reducing incidences of foodborne illness.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Identify the causes of foodborne illness as they relate to the three food safety hazards (biological, physical, chemical including radiological hazards).
2. Discuss the rules and regulations that are required for the manufacture of food products.
3. Discuss the rules and regulations that are required for the sale of food products.
4. Identify the principles (including sanitation practices), used to eliminate or reduce food safety hazards.
5. Develop a food safety management plan.
6. Outline the steps in preparation for a Food and Drug Administration(FDA), United States Department of Agriculture(USDA),or third party audit.
7. Apply a food safety plan to control a former foodborne outbreak.
Effective Term: Fall 2019