Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Food Processing Technology Courses:
FPT201 - Unit Operations in Food & Dairy Processing
Catalog Description: Provides an integrated introduction to the principles of food processes that are used to preserve and change the physical properties of food. Specific processes include cooling, freezing, heat processing, concentration, dehydration, fermentation, high pressure, irradiation and packaging. A strong focus will be on unit operations that exist within the dairy industry and how milk changes throughout these processes.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Identify key unit operations used in the food industry.
2. Explain the limiting factors on the shelf life of food.
3. Describe changes that can occur to food products that impact shelf life.
4. Identify principles of food preservation.
5. Describe the changes (physical, microbiological, chemical) that result in following each step in unit operations.
6. Evaluate differences among various food production processes according to product cost.
7. Evaluate differences among various food production processes according to product quality.
8. Utilize basic process control problem-solving techniques that will affect finished product results.
Effective Term: Fall 2019