Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Food Processing Technology Courses:
FPT205 - Analytical Methods & Labeling of Food
Catalog Description: Introduces basic analytical techniques for microbiological, chemical, and sensory properties of food. Emphasis will be on common technologies employed by the food processing industry and examination of selected properties of food commodities and how processing and preparation of food affect these properties. Labeling of food will be discussed. Three lecture hours; three lab hours.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Lab: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Analyze for nutrients found in food products.
2. Explain how various processing methods impact the chemical nature of foods.
3. Explain how various processing methods impact the presence of microbes in foods.
4. Utilize analytical techniques for microbial testing in foods.
5. Utilize analytical techniques for chemical testing in foods.
6. Identify sensory testing techniques for food products.
7. Summarize the Nutritional Labeling and Education Act.
8. Develop a food product.
9. Identify basic shapes of bacteria using the microscope.
10. Discuss methods of bacterial identification.
11. Describe the growth needs for microbiological contamination in foods.
Effective Term: Fall 2019