Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Health Education Courses:
HED115 - Community Health and Safety
Catalog Description: Catalog Description: Presents the four major components of the mandated New York State Education Department (NYSED) requirements. Focuses on SAVE Legislation (Safe Schools Against Violence in Education), Child Abuse Workshop (identifying and reporting suspected child abuse and maltreatment), alcohol and tobacco, and signs and symptoms of drug use. Includes safety education-identifying dangerous environments, preventing child abduction, fire and arson. Certification in SAVE Legislation and Mandated Reporter available. Two class hours.
Lecture: 2 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Explain aspects of Project SAVE such as: school safety plans, code of conduct, emergency response plans, misconduct of students in classrooms, "Whistle blowing" protection or the Social Development Strategy.
2. Explain aspects of Highway Safety such as: traffic regulations, school safety patrols or bicycle safety.
3. Identify key terms related to abuse such as: physical abuse, maltreatment, neglect or sexual abuse.
4. Identify the rehabilitation facilities and resources available to the community.
5. Explain signs of an addiction.
6. Identify categories of drugs.
7. Identify the physiological and behavioral effects of alcohol.
8. Describe strategies used to quit using addictive substances.
9. Explain aspects of the Dignity Act which may include: harassment, bullying, discrimination or prevention and intervention strategies.
Effective Term: Fall 2019