Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Health Education Courses:
HED209 - Health Sciences Related to Coaching
Catalog Description: Introduces a series of interactive exercises and activities designed to study Health Sciences as they apply to coaching interscholastic sports in New York State. Presents the definitions of selected principles of biology, anatomy, physiology, kinesiology related to coaching, risk minimization, mixed competition, legal implications for coaches, and the NYSED Selection Classification program. Specific information will be given regarding current health issues facing athletes (i.e. Concussion/head trauma, the Female Athlete Triad, drug use and abuse, etc).
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Identify the National Association for Sport and Physical Education Coaching Standards.
2. Identify the National Federation of State High School Associations Code of Conduct.
3. Explain the importance of risk management and its legal implications in coaching.
4. Discuss the psychology of coaching.
5. Design a fitness and conditioning program for athletes for off season training in a sport of choice.
6. Explain the relationship of nutrition and athletic performance.
7. Discuss major trends in substance abuse in school-aged athletes.
8. Explain the relationship of substance abuse and athletic performance.
9. Discuss the current medical finding regarding head trauma.
10. Discuss the current health issues school aged athletes face.
11. Identify the position New York State public high school athletic ruling organizations have on areas such as: athletic eligibility standards or district policies and guidelines.
Effective Term: Fall 2019