Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
HIS207 - American Military History Since 1898
Catalog Description: Surveys the military history of the United States from the Spanish-American War to the present. Examines the development and use of the American armed forces in the context of the political, social, economic, intellectual and technological evolution of the nation. Prerequisite: HIS 203 or HIS 204 or a grade of 85 or better on the New York State Regents American history and government examination.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Discuss various events in American military history with an emphasis on the historical narrative.
2. Analyze the connection between global forces and American military developments.
3. Discuss the influence of the military as a national institution on American society.
4. Discuss current issues facing the American armed forces in their historical context.
5. Compare and contrast the experiences of ordinary soldiers using primary sources.
6. Analyze the strategies of American military commanders in different wars using primary and secondary sources.
7. Appraise various pieces of military history writing for bias and viewpoint.
8. Conduct independent research on a military history topic that culminates in the development of presentable findings.
Effective Term: Fall 2019