Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
JOU101 - Introduction to Journalism
Catalog Description: Introduces the principles and practices of print journalism. Defines what constitutes news and discusses news gathering, news and feature writing, news editing, and ethical problems of journalists. Prerequisite: ENG101.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Apply an appropriate journalism style (includes simplicity and clarity, while avoiding sensationalism) to news articles.
2. Summarize ideas and information gathered from news sources.
3. Identify and describe legal aspect of journalism ethics.
4. Describe the importance of objectivity and accuracy in factual reporting
5. Apply journalism terminology to the parts of a news article.
6. Compose news articles that apply correct writing mechanics for use in a journalism context.
Effective Term: Fall 2019