Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
MUS102 - Basic Musicianship
Catalog Description: Studies scales, intervals, key signatures, meters, rhythmic reading, and chords. This course is for students with little or no background in music performance or theory who wish to obtain the skills necessary to read music and learn to apply the skills in a practical way.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of basic music fundamentals.
2. Recognize and identify the notes on the piano keyboard.
3. Identify pitch notation on the treble and bass clefs.
4. Recognize, write, and identify major and minor key signatures, major and minor scales, intervals, rhythm, meter, triads, and inversions of triads.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of music theory through in class workbook exercises and exams.*
6. Perform rhythms in simple and compound meters.
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
1. Rhythm: Simple and Compound Meter
2. Major and minor Scales
3. Major and minor Key Signatures
Effective Term: Fall 2014