Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
|MUS151 - Music Industry Entrepreneurship|
Catalog Description: Interactive and hands-on, designed for a variety of students from the aspiring professional musician looking to make a little extra income to the student earning a degree in music who needs guidance on how to get started in the industry. Students will learn essential skills needed to become successful entrepreneurs in the music industry.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1) Examine careers in the music industry and identify personal goals
2) Discuss social media, internet marketing, and website options available to creative artists
3) Generate a list of contacts in the music industry for future career development
4) Indicate an understanding of financial management, fundraising, and taxes for musicians
5) Construct a marketing plan and produce a press kit built around personal brand and image*
6) Create a customized business plan based on individual goals*
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
1) Career options
3) Developing your Image and Brand
4) Social Media and Internet Marketing
6) Publicity and Media coverage
7) Time management
8) Financial management
9) Understanding Taxes
11) Funding and Fundraising
12) Goal setting
13) Business plan
Effective Term: Fall 2016