Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
|MUS202 - Music Theory 2|
Catalog Description: Concentrates on the basics of Western music, including concepts such as notation, chords, and chord progressions, chorale writing, and melody writing. Prerequisite: MUS 201.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of intermediate music theory.
2. Recognize, write, and identify triads in 1st/2nd inversion and seventh chords in 1st/2nd /3rd inversion.
3. Employ root position part writing techniques and correct harmonic progression in writing music.
4. Identify cadences, phrases, periods and non-chord tones in musical examples.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of music theory through in class workbook exercises and exams.*
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
Effective Term: Fall 2016