Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
NUR130 - NY PN to RN Transition Course
Catalog Description: The NY PN to RN Transition course is designed to validate prior learning, and update/enhance the student's knowledge. This course facilitates transition from the role of Practical Nurse to that of a student preparing for the role of Registered Nurse. Nursing process is used as the framework for critical thinking and problem solving. Four contact hours (3 classroom, 1 laboratory). Prerequisites: Eligibility for licensure as a licensed practical nurse in a United States jurisdiction. For progression into the nursing program, applicants must hold current LPN registration in a United States jurisdiction and meet the specific admission requirements of the institution/program to which she/he is applying.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Lab: 1 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
NOTE: These Course Learning Outcomes are specifically designed to satisfy expectations for accreditation.
1. Identify significant factors that will enhance and interfere with their personal transition from PN to RN.
2. Define the Scope of Practice for the Registered Nurse.
3. Use therapeutic communication techniques.
4. Describe the RN responsibility in the interpretation of data acquired from assessments.
5. Apply nursing process, critical thinking, and communication skills in developing nursing care plans, therapeutic communication, and teaching/learning plans.
Effective Term: Fall 2019