Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Office Technology/Secretarial Courses:
OFT150 - Intro to Health Insurance
Catalog Description: This course will introduce students to the history of health insurance, the legal and ethical side of health insurance, and the types of health insurance. Topics will include the claims process, HIPPA, and reimbursement.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Describe the history of health insurance.
2. Identify and describe Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) primary objectives.
3. Explain the importance of proper medical ethics and medical etiquette.
4. Discuss the types and sources of health insurance.
5. Explain how to complete a CMS1500 form.
6. Compare and contrast different types of health insurance.
Effective Term: Fall 2019