Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Office Technology/Secretarial Courses:
OFT155 - Medical Coding I (CPT)
Catalog Description: Students are introduced to procedural coding using the American Association’s Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) coding systems. Students will learn how the CPT and HCPS coding procedures interact with medical billing in office and hospital settings. Prerequisites: OFT116. Additional courses are required in order to be certified as a Medical Coder.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. List the basic steps in Current Procedural Terminology (CPT)coding.
2. Explain the symbols used in the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) manual.
3. Compare and contrast Current Procedural Terminology and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System coding systems (HCPCS).
4. Summarize Evaluation & Management (E&M) Coding procedures in a medical office or hospital.
5. Explain details of documentation with regard to coding systems as they apply to a medical office or hospital.
Effective Term: Fall 2019