Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Office Technology/Secretarial Courses:
OFT244 - Medical Office Procedures
Catalog Description: Examines responsibilities and duties of the medical office assistant through the use of projects and simulations that include medical law and ethics, preparation of records and records management, telephone procedures and appointment scheduling, health insurance and billing, office management, professional reports, and medical meetings.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Describe the professional role of the medical administrative assistant.
2. Explain the importance of medical ethics.
3. Explain specific medical-related laws and regulators such as Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), legal rights of patients, and rights of doctors and hospitals.
4. Communicate professionally in person or on the phone.
5. Compose a variety of written communications with attention to detail (letters, memos, etc.).
6. Demonstrate professional supervisory and organizational skills in an office environment.
7. Describe proper practices in office financial processes (billing, reimbursement, collections).
8. Conduct basic monetary transactions (collection of co-pays, etc.).
9. Prepare a professional resume, cover letter, reference page, or other documentation.
Effective Term: Fall 2019