Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Office Technology/Secretarial Courses:
OFT255 - Medical Coding II (ICD 10)
Catalog Description: Students are introduced to diagnostic coding with emphasize on the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) classification system. Students will learn how the diagnostic coding procedures, interact with medical reimbursement and office operations. Prerequisite: OFT116.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Discuss the historical development of diagnostic coding.
2. Describe the format or organization of the International Classification of Disease (ICD) Manual.
3. Explain what "main terms" are and how to locate them.
4. Summarize the essential steps to diagnostic coding.
5. Interpret the usage of various coding conventions.
6. Explain International Classification of Disease (ICD) coding procedures as applied to medical reimbursement and office operations.
Effective Term: Fall 2019