Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Physical Education Courses:
PED132 - Beginning Karate
Catalog Description: Focuses on achieving the physical and mental conditioning and training required to execute a variety of basic martial arts techniques and forms or kata and engages in effective sparring and self-defense. Acquaints students with the historical and philosophical and spiritual aspects of the martial arts. Designed for students with little or no background in the martial arts. One and one-half class hours.
Lecture: 1.5 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Discuss the history of Isshin Ryu Karate.
2. Identify a minimum of one philosophical aspect of karate training.
3. Identify a minimum of one spiritual aspect of karate training.
4. Demonstrate upper body techniques.
5. Demonstrate lower body techniques.
6. Demonstrate advanced self-defense techniques.
7. Perform 1/2 of the seisan kata.
8. Analyze the benefits of daily fitness activity specific to karate.
Effective Term: Fall 2019