Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Physical Education Courses:
PED158 - Intermediate Karate
Catalog Description: Focuses on the advanced aspects of the martial arts and expands physical and mental aspects of martial arts training. Concentrates on perfecting sparring, kata, and self-defense learned in Beginning Karate. Deepens understanding of historical and philosophical and spiritual aspects of the martial arts. One and one-half class hours. Prerequisite: PED 132.
Lecture: 1.5 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Identify a minimum of 3 philosophical aspects of karate training.
2. Identify a minimum of 3 spiritual aspects of karate training.
3. Demonstrate 15 upper body techniques.
4. Demonstrate 10 lower body techniques.
5. Demonstrate a minimum of 10 advanced self-defense techniques.
6. Perform all of the seisan kata.
7. Analyze the benefits of daily fitness activity specific to the sport of karate.
Effective Term: Fall 2019