Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Physical Education Courses:
PED209 - Water Safety Instruction
Catalog Description: Prepares students to teach American Red Cross Water Safety courses to diverse populations. Identifies appropriate course planning, organization, teaching methods and facilitation skills used in various courses. Studies correct and safe skill instruction for the Infant and Preschool Aquatics Program, the Learn to Swim Program, the Community Water Safety Course and the Basic Water Rescue Course. Provides Red Cross certification in Water Safety Instruction upon successful completion of requirements. Prerequisite: Instructor approval.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Identify the Cognitive Strategies to Learning.
2. Apply the 7-step process of Teaching Aquatic Skills to at least 2 aquatic skills.
3. Develop a block plan to prepare for any aquatics safety course.
4. Demonstrate the holding positions of infants and young children.
5. Demonstrate the aquatic skills for infants and young children.
6. Identify the categories of skills in Learn to Swim programs.
7. Demonstrate the 3 types of water supports.
8. Teach at least 3 basic aquatic skills using the appropriate progressions and tips for each skill.
9. Demonstrate teaching at least 2 swimming stokes using the 15-step General Approach for Teaching Strokes.
10. Demonstrate the progressions in segments of diving such as: Body Alignment, Diving from the Deck or Springboard Diving.
11. Demonstrate the teaching progressions for swim starts which may include the grab start or the backstroke start.
12. Demonstrate the teaching progressions for swim turns which may include: the flip turn for the front crawl, the flip turn for the back stroke or the butterfly.
Effective Term: Fall 2019