Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
PLG231 - Family Law
Catalog Description: Examines the laws of marriage, separation, annulment, divorce, paternity and adoption, with special attention given to spousal support, property distribution, child support, child custody and visitation. Emphasizes document preparation and court procedures. Prerequisite: PLG 114 or consent of the program director.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Explain the substantive law of a New York State marriage.
2. Explain legal grounds for separation.
3. Explain legal grounds for annulment.
4. Explain legal grounds for divorce.
5. Explain the law of equitable distribution (property settlement of marital property, spousal maintenance).
6. Explain the laws of child custody, child support and visitation.
7. Explain the Family Court Act and its procedures regarding paternity and adoption.
8. Apply the Code of Professional Responsibility to a legal problem.
9. Draft a divorce complaint.
10. Draft an affidavit in support of a motion for pendent lite relief.
11. Draft the additional documentation required for obtaining a divorce in New York State.
12. Describe the "best interest of the child" doctrine.
Effective Term: Fall 2019