Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Polysomnography Technology Courses:
PSG114 - Sleep Study Instrumentation
Catalog Description: Introduces the bio-potential electrophysiologic, polysomnographic, and ancillary equipment involved in patient assessment and the conducting of sleep studies. The basic principles, set up, operation, maintenance, cleaning and troubleshooting will be emphasized. Prerequisites: PSG 105, PSG 110, and PSG LB1 each with a grade of ‘C’ or higher. Prerequisite or corequisite: BIO 150 or BIO 152; corequisite: PSG LB2.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. List the basic concepts of electricity.
2. Describe the differences among voltage, current, and resistance.
3. Identify unsafe electrical conditions.
4. Discuss the monitoring devices used in polysomnography.
5. Describe digital polysomnography.
6. Explain the importance of the international 10-20 system of measurements.
7. Identify the electrode sites for the face and body.
8. Describe how to properly apply electrodes for optimal recording.
9. Explain how Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) treats Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
10. Describe how to titrate oxygen.
Effective Term: Fall 2019