Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
REA091 - Building Successful Reading Habits
Catalog Description: Improves basic reading and vocabulary skills. Expands reading comprehension from literal to inferential understanding of text. Advances effective dictionary use and spelling accuracy and promotes personal lifelong reading habits. This class carries institutional credit but cannot be applied toward any degree or certificate program. Prerequisite: Placement test score or permission of instructor.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Identify main ideas with supporting details in a paragraph.
2. Describe the organizational structure of a paragraph.
3. Organize main ideas graphically, with supporting details of a paragraph.
4. Make appropriate inferences from written work (essays, articles, etc.)
5. Summarize essays, articles, and opinion pieces from graphic organizers (outlines, maps, charts, etc.)
6. Decode unknown words employing established rules of phonics and syllabication.
7. Determine the meaning of unknown words using context clues.
8. Check for correct decoding and meanings of unknown words using traditional or on-line dictionaries.
Effective Term: Spring 2020