Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
SPA101 - Elementary Spanish 1
Catalog Description: Develops Spanish listening, speaking, reading and writing skills at the novice level. Develops cultural awareness and introduces concepts of cultural diversity and tolerance. Emphasizes ability to use and understand basic Spanish in context. See placement guidelines on Advisement Homepage. Instructor determines final placement.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Use basic speaking skills to ask or answer simple questions as required. [speaking and listening]
2. Engage in basic spontaneous conversation. [speaking and listening]
3. Identify main idea from audio input (questions, short passages and dialogs). [listening]
4. Identify details from audio input (questions, short passages and dialogs). [listening]
5. Read for comprehension of content in the present tense (short passages, advertisements, dialogs, paragraphs and news articles). [reading and writing]
6. Produce comprehensible written work in basic Spanish such as sentences, paragraphs and dialogs. [writing]
7. Discuss in English or Spanish key aspects regarding the culture and traditions of the Spanish-speaking world (greetings, educational systems, social interactions and stereotypes). [diversity, culture]
8. Discuss in English or Spanish strategies for successful interactions with people from a variety of cultures. [diversity]
Effective Term: Fall 2019