Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
THE238 - Live Sound for Theatre and Stage
Catalog Description: Emphasizes sound reinforcement for live theatre and concert productions. Examines sound design and the production of sound effects in a theatrical context. Introduces basic audio recording for sound designers. Two Lecture, three lab hours as arranged with instructor.
Lecture: 2 hrs.
Lab: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Discuss the basic physics of sound within the context of performance sound reinforcement.
2. Identify and describe the elements of a sound reinforcement system (types of microphones and speakers, signal flow, gain structuring, etc.).
3. Design an effective sound design for theatrical content involving the recording, mixing, and playback of audio cues.
4. Implement a sound reinforcement system as required for theatrical events based on information from sound designers, riders, or plots.
5. Design a complete sound reinforcement system using proper and effective tools of sound reinforcement.
Effective Term: Fall 2019