Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Tourism & Hospitality Mgmt Courses:
THM103 - Hotel Operations
Catalog Description: Focuses on the organization and structure of hotel operations. Addresses organization and management responsibilities within each department, including the front office, housekeeping, engineering, and security. Examines the role of the sales and marketing department in the financial success of the hotel, and food and beverage services for their important part in the overall hotel product. Fall only.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Summarize the organizational structure of a hotel (departments, staff, revenue, cost centers, etc.) and describe the relationship between each.
2. Describe the impact of current events and trends with emphasis on sustainability, international economic and cultural issues.
3. Describe various functions of the human resources department in a hotel (recruitment, selection of new employees, training, performance appraisals and laws)
4. Describe the function of a computerized property management system (yield management, budgeting, account payable, accounts receivable, revenue management and occupancy forecasts)
5. Analyze the data supplied in management reports.
6. Describe the types of hotel ownership.
7. Define the role of customer service, hospitality and sales techniques in the success of a hotel.
8. Communicate effectively in a professional business setting.
Effective Term: Fall 2019