Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Veterinary Technology Courses:
VET124 - Veterinary Pharmacy and Pharmacology
Catalog Description: Catalog Description: Provide study in the area of commonly used veterinary drugs and medications. Emphasis will be placed on the classes of drugs, their use, potential side effects and contraindications, calculating drug doses, administering and dispensing drugs and medications, legal issues and record keeping. Spring only. Prerequisites: VET 100, VET 101, BIO 123, and BIO LB3 each with a grade of ‘C’ or higher. Corequisites: BIO 124,BIO LB4, VET 223, and VET LB3.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Discuss various aspects of commonly used veterinary drugs (drug classes, mechanisms of action, expected patient response, relevant side effects, and contraindications).
2. Perform calculations accurately and as appropriate.
3. Use weights and measures correctly.
4. Prepare medications properly including labeling and packaging of dispensed drugs.
5. Interpret and follow a veterinarian's pharmacy orders.
6. Explain the safe and effective manner in which vaccines must be administered with common side effects.
7. Discuss regulations governing prescription, over-the-counter medications, and controlled substances.
8. Handle and dispose of hazardous materials, including needles and syringes properly.
9. Explain medication information to clients, which include handling, storage, administration, side-effects, drug interaction,
safety, or reasons for use of the drug.
Effective Term: Fall 2019