Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Veterinary Technology Courses:
VET234 - Clinical Laboratory Techniques
Catalog Description: Introduce the student to the basics of clinical laboratory techniques. The student will develop fundamental skills necessary to properly prepare, handle and submit appropriate samples for diagnostic analysis, learn proper maintenance, quality control and safety procedures required in a laboratory setting, and how to evaluate blood, urine, fecal, and cytological samples as directed by the veterinarian. Prerequisites: VET 201 with a grade of ‘C’ or higher. Corequisites: VET 202, VET LB4, VET 245, VET LB5, VET 246, VET LB6 and VET 280.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Prepare specimens for analysis and/or shipment according to laboratory protocols.
2. Perform routine laboratory analysis which may include urinalysis, complete blood counts with microscopic evaluation of a blood smear, blood chemistry analysis, serologic tests, or coagulation tests.
3. Perform routine laboratory testing of cytology specimens which may include dermatophyte preparations.
4. Prepare and evaluate samples for parasitological evaluation.
5. Perform routine laboratory tests that deal with reproduction.
6. Describe the procedure for cross matching blood.
7. Operate and maintain laboratory equipment.
8. Implement appropriate quality control measures.
9. Implement measures to ensure safety of patients, clients and staff.
10. Discuss protocols for safe handling of rabies suspects and corresponding samples for testing.
Effective Term: Fall 2019