All seven of GCC’s physical campus locations are closed. Please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) GCC Response Information for details.
Developmental Disabilities Studies
The Developmental Disabilities Studies Certificate covers a number of the topics required for employees by OPWDD (Office for Persons with Developmental Disabilities). Lifestyles of individuals with developmental disabilities have changed dramatically over the past twenty years as they have moved out of institutions and into community residences.
GCC's certificate program addresses the skills and knowledge necessary for you to succeed as a human service worker. The certificate may be completed in one year (full-time) and can be taken separately or as part of the Human Services AAS Degree Program.
Did you know that a majority of the Developmental Disabilities Studies program can be completed online?
- Developmental Disabilities Studies CERT (50% or more can be completed online)
Visit our Office of Online Learning for more information!
The courses in the Developmental Disabilities Studies program cover topics that emphasize skills and knowledge for enhancing the independence of individuals. This program will also allow you will also be given the opportunity to participate in an internship and apply your newly learn skills.
In addition, this certificate can expand your employment options if you are planning to or currently work in this career area.
After getting your GCC degree, some occupations you may consider are:
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers
- Counselors, All Other
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Social Work Teachers, Postsecondary
- Social Workers, All Other
Please contact our Career Center for more information.