Please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) GCC Response Information for details on current operations.
Early Childhood & Childhood Education
SUNY College at Brockport
- Education is a concentration and students must choose an approved major (available on their web site).
- The General Education Core is met by having the Teacher Education, A. S. degree except for: one Contemporary Issues course, one Perspectives on Women course, and one Diversity course.
- Foreign Language requirement: the equivalent of one year of college level foreign language or two semesters of sign language.
- Two science courses are required for the certification program. Courses to choose from at GCC include: PHY100, and either BIO 100 or AST 107.
- Two math courses for elementary teachers are required; it is recommended that you take MAT 116 as a general elective, and MAT 117 as the required math course.
- Related requirements for elementary education which can be met at GCC include: ENG 105, LIT 203, GEO 101, PSY 102.
SUNY College at Buffalo
- Childhood Education is the major and students are required to select a concentration from the following: American Studies, English, Environmental Studies, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies.
- General Education requirements will be met with an A.A. or A.S. degree from GCC.
- Foreign Language requirement: two years of high school regents foreign language, or the equivalent of one year of college level language, or two semesters of American Sign Language.
- Related requirements: two math courses (MAT 116 & MAT 117), select one of the following science courses (AST 107, BIO 100, CHE 101, PHY 100), LIT 203, PSY 102, SPE 108. EDF 250 is also recommended for those seeking dual certification only.
SUNY College at Fredonia
- Childhood Education is the major and students are required to select a concentration from the following: English, Art, Music, French, Spanish, Social Studies, Mathematics or Science.
- General Education, lower level requirements will be met with an A.A. or A.S. degree from GCC.
- Foreign Language requirement: three years of one high school language and a passing grade on the regents examination (65% or higher but this will probably be raised), or the equivalent of one year of college level language, or two semesters of American Sign Language (HUS 105 & 115).
- Related requirements, which can be met at GCC: EDF 250, PSY 102, one science, and two math courses (MAT 116 & MAT 117), and LIT 203 for Early Childhood only.
SUNY College at Geneseo
- General Education Core must be met within the bachelor's degree: two fine arts (two different areas recommended), two sciences with labs (two different areas recommended), two math courses (MAT 116 & MAT 117), two social sciences (PSY 102 and HIS 203 or HIS 204), Critical Writing and Reasoning (ENG 102 for students choosing the English concentration, ENG 105 or 102 for all others). It is suggested that you try to complete as much of this as possible at GCC.
- Childhood Education is a major, students must choose a concentration consisting of 30 credit hours in one of the following: English, Social Studies, Math, and Science are strongly recommended, but students can also choose: Applied Computer Science, Environmental Studies, Geography, Music, or Art History.
- Foreign Language requirement: four years of high school regents language, plus a score of 85 or better on the regents, or the equivalent of college level language through Intermediate 1.
- EDF 250 is recommended only for students pursuing dual certification at Geneseo.
- A 3.0 GPA is usually required for acceptance.
Roberts Wesleyan College
- Childhood and Special Education is the major and students are required to select a concentration from the following: Language Arts; Social Studies; Fine arts with an emphasis in Music; Fine Arts with an emphasis in Art; Math, Science and Technology with an emphasis in Math; or Math, Science and Technology with an emphasis in Science.
- Recommended General Education and related requirements: ART 101 or MUS 101, PED skills course (at least 1 credit), GEO 101, PHI 101 or 103, LIT 201, SPE 108, PSY 102, BIO 102 and one more science (AST or PHY or CHE), MAT 116, MAT 117, and EDF 250.
- Foreign Language requirements: three years of high school foreign language and a passing grade on the Regents exam, or two semesters of foreign language at GCC (excluding sign language).