About the Library
Mission Statement: We cultivate learning and provide tools for discovery.
The Alfred C. O’Connell Library provides an excellent learning environment to foster student success.
Students rated the Library’s resources and services #1 out of 29 categories at GCC on the 2016 SUNY Student Opinion Survey for the second time in a row. We engage in ongoing dialog with students, faculty and staff and continuously explore new ways to improve services, materials, technology and facilities for all library users.
- Librarians are available in-person, via chat, and by phone during all open hours to help students locate, evaluate and use information
- We provide PC and laptop workstations loaded with all of the college's course-specific software, scanners, printers and wireless Internet access
- Over 85,000 volumes of circulating and reference print titles, 65 full-text databases, periodicals, eBooks, music CDs, and audiobooks are available
- Our Course Reserve service provides an extensive collection of textbooks, science models, course-specific materials and small equipment for in-library use
- ILLiad Interlibrary loan services provide rapid access to materials from other institutions nationwide
- We teach more than 200 hands-on information literacy classes per year in a fully equipped classroom computer lab, at all campus center locations, and for online courses
- Help for research, citation and course-specific guides is also available via our online instructional tutorials and videos
- Library programming and events engage students with college and community life beyond the classroom
GCC’s library resources are available for use at no charge to GCC students, faculty, staff, and the GLOW region community.