About the Library
Mission Statement: We cultivate learning and provide tools for discovery.
The Alfred C. O’Connell Library provides an excellent learning environment to foster student success.
Students rated the Library’s resources and services #1 out of 29 categories at GCC on the 2016 SUNY Student Opinion Survey for the second time in a row. We engage in ongoing dialog with students, faculty and staff and continuously explore new ways to improve services, materials, technology and facilities for all library users.
- Librarians are available in-person, via chat, and by phone during all open hours to help students locate, evaluate and use information
- We provide PC and laptop workstations loaded with all of the college's course-specific software, scanners, printers and wireless Internet access
- Over 85,000 volumes of circulating and reference print titles, 65 full-text databases, periodicals, eBooks, music CDs, and audiobooks are available
- Our Course Reserve service provides an extensive collection of textbooks, science models, course-specific materials and small equipment for in-library use
- ILLiad Interlibrary loan services provide rapid access to materials from other institutions nationwide
- We teach more than 200 hands-on information literacy classes per year in a fully equipped classroom computer lab, at all campus center locations, and for online courses
- Help for research, citation and course-specific guides is also available via our online instructional tutorials and videos
- Library programming and events engage students with college and community life beyond the classroom
GCC’s library resources are available for use at no charge to GCC students, faculty, and staff.