Continuing Student Checklist

Step 1: Password

Is your Password still current? If you need to reset it, please do so by following these steps:

  1. For video instruction, visit our Password Set up and Reset Video
  2. Visit the SUNY GCC website at www.genesee.edu.
  3. At the top of the homepage you will see a prompt to log in to myGCC.
  4. After selecting myGCC, click on the Support tab at the top of the page.
  5. Under Password help select: https://pwreset.genesee.edu.
  6. In the right-hand column choose: Reset my password, and follow the prompts.
  7. Once you successfully create your password you will be able to Log in to myGCC.
  8. It will be helpful to maintain a copy of your username and password in a safe and secure location.

For technical assistance, call the HELP DESK at 1-866-614-5004

Step 2: Placement Testing

Do you still need placement testing? You can find out by checking your Degree Audit or contacting your Student Success Coach/Advisor.

  • All GCC students are required to meet the College proficiencies in math, reading, and English.
  • Placement in these courses is determined by a variety of measures including: Accuplacer, ACT/ SAT V scores, high school dual credit, Regents ELA scores, GPA for English and reading, or previous college credit.
  • Students should review their Degree Works degree audit or contact ssc@genesee.edu to determine if testing is required. To review your Degree Works degree audit:
    1. Log in to myGCC
    2. Select My Account Tab
    3. Select My Banner Self-Service
    4. Select Student Services
    5. Select Registration Menu
    6. Select “Run a Degree Works Degree Audit.”


  • If you are advised to take Accuplacer test, please go to the Remote Testing page for instructions on how to take the test remotely using Zoom.
  • If due to any reason related to COVID-19 students cannot provide high school GPA, ACT, SAT, Regent’s scores, Accuplacer scores, etc., GCC will place them as “special admits.” Genesee Community College will implement the “special admit” process for the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic years. Please contact your Advisor to determine your placement based on the “special admit” policy.

Step 3: Set up an Advisement Appointment and Register for Classes

Have you made an appointment to register for next semester? Classes are filling up fast!

Option 1: Visit the Student Success Directory and schedule a virtual or phone advisement appointment with the Student Success Coach or campus center advisor assigned to you.  You can locate your coach/advisor's name in your Degree Works Degree Audit.

Option 2: Visit the Student Success Events page and register for a GCC Virtual Registration Event. The virtual event will include a brief introduction of important resources and an opportunity to meet with an advisor to select and register for courses.

Prior to your appointment, you will need to

  • “Set-up password”
  • Successfully Log-in to MyGCC
  • Open and Review your Degree Works Degree Audit · Open ZOOM 

Once you have opened Zoom, select Join a Meeting. (desktop or laptop are recommended)

Enter the Meeting ID provided to you.

During the appointment, the advisor will discuss degree requirements, course options, and help with the registration process.

Student Success Center video and tutorials available here

Step 4: Financial Aid

Is your Financial Aid “All Set”?

  1. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and TAP (NYS Tuition Assistance Program-New York State Residents) grant applications.
  2. In order to complete the FAFSA and TAP applications you will need the following:
    • FSA ID for both student and parent/guardian (if a dependent student). (See "Create a New FSA ID" at the Federal Student Aid website.) It will be helpful to maintain a copy of your FSA ID and password in a safe and secure location.
    • State and Federal Taxes
    • FAFSA. (See "Complete the FAFSA® Form" at the Federal Student Aid website.)
    • TAP. (See "Apply for TAP" at the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation website.)
  3. For FREE assistance completing the FAFSA or TAP applications, complete the following form and an AEOC Outreach Specialist will contact you to set up an individualized financial aid appointment. Financial Aid Help
  4. Once the applications are submitted and processed you will receive communication that includes PELL grant, TAP grant, and student loan eligibility. You can also review your award information in your myGCC account.
  5. To review your Financial Aid Award information in myGCC:
    1. Log in to myGCC
    2. Select My Account Tab
    3. Select My Banner Self-Service
    4. Select Financial Aid
    5. Select Financial Aid
    6. Select Award
    7. Select Award By Aid year
    8. Choose academic year
    9. Select Award Overview.
  6. Some students are selected for verification and will receive communication that they are required to submit additional documentation. The College cannot pay out any federal grant or loan until the verification process is complete. You can find the verification form at the Financial Aid Forms page.
  7. You can access missing document information in your myGCC account:
    1. Log in to myGCC
    2. Select My Account Tab
    3. Select My Banner Self-Service
    4. Select Financial Aid
    5. Select Eligibility
    6. Select Student Requirements.
  8. PELL and TAP are grants that do not have to be paid back and funding is earned and maintained by student academic performance. Student loans are available to eligible students who are enrolled in six credit hours applicable to their major and also maintained by student academic performance. Student loans require acceptance in myGCC and completion of additional requirements.
  9. To accept student loans in myGCC and complete additional requirements: *Amount accepted is disbursed over two semesters.
    1. Log in to myGCC
    2. Select My Account Tab
    3. Select My Banner Self-Service
    4. Select Financial Aid
    5. Select Award By Aid Year
    6. Choose academic year
    7. Select Accept Award Offer*
  10. In order to receive student loans, a student must also Log in to the Federal Student Aid website and complete:
    1. Entrance Counseling
    2. Master Promissory Note (MPN)

For Financial Aid Video tutorials and questions visit: Virtual Financial Aid

Step 5: Certificate of Residence (New York State Residents Only)

Is your Certificate of Residence still current?

  1. General instructions for submitting on the Certificate of Residence page.
  2. Certificates of Residence cannot be dated more than sixty (60) days prior to the start of the semester. Student Accounts recommends submitting them beginning July 1st for the fall semester.
  3. Genesee County Residents, please download and fill out the Certificate of Residence Application and email it to studentaccounts@genesee.edu.
  4. For other New York State Residents, who live outside of Genesee County, please download and fill out the Certificate of Residence Application.
    • Have your form notarized and submit the application and any required proof of residence to your County Treasurer’s Office. Contact your County Treasurer’s Office for county-specific requirements.
    • Forward your valid Certificate of Residence (not the application) to studentaccounts@genesee.edu once your County issues the certificate.
  5. PLEASE NOTE: Failure to turn in a valid Certificate of Residence will result in double tuition charges being assessed.
  6. COVID-19 Update: Counties are normally only obligated to provide Residency Certificates for the first 30 days of the semester; however, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Cuomo issued an Executive Order that suspends the thirty-day requirement. Every county is now required to allow for electronic mail and mail-by-post applications for certificates of residence for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency. Students should check with their County Treasurer’s Office for county-specific requirements.

Step 6: Billing

Do you know where to find your Bill?

 Student Accounts sends notices when an ebill is available for your viewing to both your GCC and personal email accounts. Be sure to login to myGCC and follow the instructions in the email to view your most recent ebill in your statement history. Please use the information below to view your bill and make payment arrangements.

  1. View your Bill
    1. Select Manage my Student Account
    2. Select View my Statement History
    3. Select a Term and Submit
  2. Pay your Bill
    1. Select Pay my Bill
    2. Nelnet will redirect you to their website for payment
    3. Select Make a Payment
  3. Enroll in Online Payment Plan
    1. Select Pay my Bill
    2. Nelnet will redirect you to their website for payment
    3. Select Set up Payment Plan

?If you are expecting financial aid and it is not listed as “Anticipated Aid” on your ebill, then you should immediately follow up with financialaid@genesee.edu.

Step 7: Authorize Aid for Bookstore Use

Have you already authorized your financial aid for bookstore use? (You are only required to complete this step one time).

To use remaining financial aid toward the purchase of books, students need to Authorize Aid for Bookstore Use one time in their myGCC account:

  1. Log in to myGCC
  2. Select My Account Tab
  3. Select My Banner Self-Service
  4. Select Financial Aid
  5. Select Authorize Aid for Bookstore use

Step 8: Submit Immunization Records

Do you have a hold on your account for missing immunization records?

Proof of Immunization against measles, mumps and rubella is required of anyone born after 1956, who is enrolling for six or more credit hours (with at least one of those credit hours occurring on campus). Students who do not provide such proof may be dropped from registered classes in accordance with New York State health law and will have a hold placed on their account. All students registering for six or more credit hours must complete and return a meningitis response form. It is NOT necessary to have the meningitis vaccine; however, you do have to sign a waiver if you elect to not have the meningitis immunization. Those who fail to comply with these New York State laws will be prohibited from attending classes. For further information/guidance, please contact Student Health Services via email at healthoffice@genesee.edu.

Health Office Fax number: 585-345-6816

To view which immunization records you are required to submit, visit myGCC:

  1. Log in to myGCC
  2. Select My Account Tab
  3. Select My Banner Self-Service
  4. Select Personal Information
  5. Select Health Center Menu
  6. Select Student Immunizations Display

Step 9: View your Schedule:

  1. Login to myGCC
  2. Select My Account Tab
  3. Select My Banner Self-Service
  4. Select Student Services
  5. Select Registration Menu
  6. Select My Schedule Calendar View or My Schedule Printable View

Step 10: View your Course Details and Modality:

  1. Visit www.genesee.edu
  2. Click the ENROLL NOW button near the top of the GCC Homepage
  3. Select Term 
  4. Search each course on your schedule
  5. Click on the course to view your instructor, notes, and meeting time
  6. Click the X in the top right-hand corner to close out the box
  7. While viewing your course, locate the column labeled Modality and Details
  8. Click the link to learn more about how your course will be taught

Step 11: View your Course Requirements and Syllabus:

  1. Login to myGCC

  2. select My Courses tab

  3. Registered courses will be listed under the “My Courses” section. The course will be unavailable until the instructor opens the course closer to the start date of the semester.

  4. Specific and detailed information about your courses will be provided to you directly by your instructors. Please continue to check your GCC student e-mail account AND check your Blackboard account frequently.

  5. To locate your instructor’s contact information visit GCC Faculty. 

Step 12: View/Order your Course Textbook:

  1. Login to myGCC 

  2. Select My Account tab

  3. Select Banner Self-Service

  4. Select Student Services

  5. Select Registration Menu

  6. Select Look Up Textbooks for My Classes


Other Items of Importance:

Campus Resources: